Ashley wins WBC award

first_imgJamaican female boxing sensation Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley won the World Boxing Council (WBC) Comeback of the Year Award last Friday night at the 2016 Female Boxing Convention, which was held in Tijuana, Mexico, from January 27-31.Ashley, who lost her WBC Super bantamweight title on September 6, 2014, to Mexican Jackie Nava by way of a controversial majority decision in Mexico, regained the title on October 29, 2015, with a sparkling victory over Ireland’s Christina McMahon in New York. She was nominated for three awards Comeback of the Year, Champion of the Year, and Event of the Year.She dominated the fight, floored McMahon in the eighth round, and had her in serious trouble in Round 9. McMahon was able to weather the storm however, and ended up with a loss by unanimous decision. This obviously impressed the judges.Ashley told The Gleaner on Sunday that the competition was keen for the various awards and that she was elated to have picked up the award for her fight against McMahon.”Winning this award is great. It is icing on the cake after regaining my title, and it shows recognition not only from the WBC, but from the fans all over the world who were part of the decision making process,” she said.Ashley, who has been consistently nominated for the RJR Sportswoman of the Year Award, won the Chairman’s Award in 2014 for her achievements as a boxer. She was the 2015 Female Boxer of the Year and was nominated for the 2015 Sportswoman award.OLDEST FEMALE BOXERShe said that she was surprised at the ceremony on Friday when she was also presented with certificates from the Guinness Book of Records organisation for being the oldest female boxing champion in the world in 2013 and again in 2015 when at age 48, she defeated McMahon.She said: “I always get a thrill when people say to me, ‘You do not look 48 years old’. This is a tribute to my lifestyle and my work ethic, and I plan to box for many years to come. I want to continue doing well for myself and my country, so I work very hard.”It would be great if it is a title fight, but if not, I will still be happy as long as I get to fight before my home crowd and hear them cheering me on over an opponent.”last_img read more

More sports in brief

first_imgWindies almost bottom of Test table DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): Lowly ranked West Indies have experienced an 11-point slide and are in danger of replacing Bangladesh at the bottom of the table in the ICC Test team rankings. Bangladesh are breathing down the necks of the West Indies Test side, trailing them by just eight points, according to the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) Test rankings, which included the annual update, released yesterday. West Indies have retained eighth position, but have dropped from 79 points to 65. The gap between the Caribbean side and ninth-ranked Bangladesh has been slashed from 29 points to just eight points. The ICC says with the annual update the results from 2012-13 are no longer included in the calculations and outcomes from the 2014-15 series are weighted at 50 per cent. Meanwhile, Australia have opened up a six-point gap over India at the top of the rankings, while India now lead third-placed Pakistan by just one point. Wade ‘honoured’ to be Prince’s favourite player MIAMI (AP): Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favourite basketball player. The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis. Wade tweeted that he knows he has fans and supporters around the world, but “hearing Prince say those words was an ultimate compliment”. Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57. Bahamas FA backs Haven against FIFA ban NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC): The Bahamas Football Association (BFA) has thrown its support behind Lionel Haven, a former executive member of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), who has been slapped with a five-year ban by FIFA, football’s governing body. “Lionel has worked with the BFA for a number of years,” Sealey said. “He was a dedicated and committed general secretary, who helped us achieve much of what we are being credited for today.” Haven, also a former Bahamas Football Association’s (BFA) secretary general who has denied any wrong doing, was slapped with a fine of US$3000 in addition to the five-year ban. FIFA’s ethics committee says Haven has failed to disclose information on cash payments at a CFU event in 2011. “We are confident and satisfied that his involvement in this, is as he stated,” said Sealey. “I spoke to him immediately after having reported it and I’m satisfied that he had no involvement in this and we stand behind him.” The ban stems from the so-called cash for votes controversy, in which Caribbean football executives were handed US$40,000 stuffed in envelopes at an upscale hotel in Trinidad ahead of the 2011 FIFA presidential election.last_img read more