MAN ‘UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE BANKS’ FINED €1,000 FOR MOTORING OFFENCES

first_imgA Gaoth Dobhair man has been fined €1,000 for a series of motoring offences at a time when he said he was ‘under pressure from the banks’.Michael Rikard of Lunniagh, Derrybeg, was stopped by Gardai on September 22 last and was driving a car without insurance, without tax, without NCT and no L plates. Garda Eugene Organ said Rikard had been honest when questioned and admitted the offences immediately, saying he was under pressure from the banks.Judge Seamus Hughes remarked that the defendant was ‘part of a very big club’. However he recognised his honesty and fined him rather than banning him from driving.MAN ‘UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE BANKS’ FINED €1,000 FOR MOTORING OFFENCES was last modified: February 15th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Juve linked with Oscar and Saints said to be considering Stekelenburg move

first_imgJuventus are interested in Chelsea’s Oscar, the Daily Mail say.It is claimed that scouts from the Italian club were in Paris specifically to watch him play for Brazil against France.Liverpool have also been linked with Oscar, signed a long-term contract at Chelsea last year and is contracted to the club until 2019.Juve were also said to be keen to sign him last year.Oscar has also been linked with Juventus in the pastThe Mail also say Chelsea have made enquiries about Palermo striker Paulo Dybala along with Manchester City and Arsenal.Dybala, 21, is said to be valued at £30m by Palermo president Mauro Zamparini and Juventus have been touted as favourites to sign him.The likes of Metro continue to link Chelsea with a move for Gareth Bale.The Blues, it is claimed, are ready to pay Real Madrid £75m for the former Tottenham star.And there continues to be speculation that Chelsea are interested in signing Radamel Falcao when his loan spell at Manchester United finishes at the end of the season.Meanwhile, Southampton boss Ronald Koeman is weighing up a summer move for Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, according to the Mail.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Forum of Africa’s elder statesmen

first_img16 January 2006A select club of former African heads of state, chaired by former Mozambican president Joaquim Chissano and with former South African president Nelson Mandela as its patron, has been established as an informal network to help strategise plans for the development of the continent.Chissano, who spearheaded the initiative, was elected chair of the Africa Forum at the body’s inaugural meeting in Maputo, Mozambique last week. The former president of Benin, Nicophore Soglo, was elected deputy chair.Its members include former United Nations secretary general Boutros Boutros-Ghali of Egypt, and former Organisation of African Unity (OAU) secretary-generals William Mboumouma of Cameroon and Ahmed Salim Ahmed of Tanzania.Other former presidents on the forum are: Botswana’s Quett Masire; Burundi’s Pierre Buyoya; Cape Verde’s Aristides Pereira and Antonio Mascarenhas Monteiro; Ghana’s Jerry Rawlings; Guinea-Bissau’s Henrique Rosa; Madagascar’s Norbert Ratsirahonana; Malawi’s Bakili Muluzi; Carl Ossmann and Cassam Eteem of Mauritius; Nigeria’s Yakubu Gowon; Miguel Trovoada of Sao Tome and Principe; Tanzania’s Benjamin Mkapa and Hassan Mwinyi; and Zambia’s Kenneth Kaunda.The forum’s brainstorming sessions will keep in mind the goals of the African Union (AU), which replaced the OAU, and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (Nepad).The body’s first annual meeting will be held in mid-2006, when an executive secretariat will be established.“It is a group of elders,” said John Pesha, interim executive secretary of the Africa Forum and a former Tanzanian diplomat based in South Africa. “Elders do not reprimand – they advise. This is a forum aimed at networking and complementing work in the area of peacemaking.”Chissano said that the forum was an informal platform where former African leaders could map out strategies to assist with the political, economic and social development of the continent.The former leaders said in a statement that they were encouraged by the emergence of democracy and a culture of peace in Africa, and pleased that more African heads of state were relinquishing power when their terms of office expired.Pesha said the forum, established with the support of the Africa Institute of South Africa, would approach the South African government about the possibility of basing the secretariat’s offices in SA.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Backlash from Mayweather-McGregor will last years, says Duva

first_imgMOST READ LATEST STORIES WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide READ: LOOK: Netizens abuzz over confirmed McGregor-Mayweather bout There are some who think that if McGregor starts losing he might resort to throwing elbows and kicks at Mayweather, but the promoters of the fight say that won’t happen.“It is in the contract,” said Dana White. “The fight is under the rules of boxing. There would be a lawsuit. If that ever happened, Conor would depart with a lot of money, and Conor likes money.”White said plans are in the works to have the fighters go on a promotional tour of major US cities.READ: Mayweather says he offered McGregor $15M to fightSince the fight was announced Mayweather has mentioned it just once via social media — as he appears to be more concerned about showing off his extravagant lifestyle.He has launched something he calls the “Mayweather Challenge” because he is “tired of people on social media bragging they live a certain lifestyle when they don’t.”Over the last few days, Mayweather has made a point of using his Twitter and Instagram to show off his private jet.That was followed by another video taken inside his “Rolls-Royce Phantom Limousine” as he boasts about his Patek Philippe gold watch while the camera pans down to show off his “Chinchilla” floor mats. Olympian Michael Phelps set to race against Great White Shark Boxing legend Mayweather and mixed martial arts superstar McGregor announced plans on Wednesday for a boxing showdown that could become one of the richest bouts in history. The fight will take place August 26 in the American boxing capital of Las Vegas.READ: Mayweather, McGregor agree to August super fight FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“You’re all going to write about it. People will get all excited,” Duva said of the competition. “And the casual fans we always want to bring into the tent are going to be disappointed again.“It’s going to be years before they want to see another boxing event,” she told the Los Angeles Times. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire View comments Conor McGregor teases fans as he posts a photoshopped poster of him and Floyd Mayweather Jr. on his Twitter account. Photo from Conor McGregor’s Twitter accountPromoter Kathy Duva says the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight is “bad for boxing” and the backlash from the exhibition spectacle will likely dog the sport for years to come.“Of course it’s bad for boxing,” said Duva. “It’s going to suck up all the air in the room.”ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. What ‘missteps’? Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Mayweather, who is considered one of the greatest boxers of all time, is a heavy favourite against McGregor — who hasn’t boxed competitively in the ring since he was a teenager.READ: McGregor backers: Mayweather fight is no sideshow“It’s not a boxing event, it’s a spectacle,” said Duva, who is the promoter for Russian boxer Sergey Kovalev, who will fight Andre Ward in a world title light heavyweight rematch on Saturday.“On the other hand, when this is over and this fight ends up the way I expect it will, the next time somebody asks me, ‘MMA or boxing, what’s the better sport?’ I’ll say, ‘We know who the bad asses are because Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor just got their asses kicked by two boxers.’“We’ll have that to cling to,” she told the paper.ADVERTISEMENT Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chickenlast_img read more

Government Looking to Strengthen Law Applicable to Breaches of Single-Use Plastics Ban

first_imgStory Highlights Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Hon Daryl Vaz, says the Government is looking to strengthen aspects of the law applicable where breaches of the ban on single-use plastics, which takes effect on January, 1, 2019, may be committed.While noting fines ranging between $50,000 to over $1 million for breaches of stipulations under the Natural Resources Conservation Authority and Trade Acts, Mr. Vaz contended that, “too often [in several instances] we are using archaic outdated legislation and laws that are totally inadequate in terms of the consequences through fines and imprisonment, and whatever else”.“We are looking at that… [and] I can assure the public that there will be teeth [in the law]”,” the Minister added.He was speaking at the recent launch of the Integrated Water, Land and Ecosystems (IWEco) sub-national project to restore the hydrological and other features of the Negril Great Morass in Westmoreland.Come January 1, the Government will commence imposition of the ban on the importation, manufacture, distribution and use of specific categories of plastic packaging material.They include single-use plastic carrier/shopping bags; expanded polystyrene, commonly called Styrofoam; and plastic drinking straws, which are often improperly discarded, causing significant harm to the environment. While noting fines ranging between $50,000 to over $1 million for breaches of stipulations under the Natural Resources Conservation Authority and Trade Acts, Mr. Vaz contended that, “too often [in several instances] we are using archaic outdated legislation and laws that are totally inadequate in terms of the consequences through fines and imprisonment, and whatever else”. Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Hon Daryl Vaz, says the Government is looking to strengthen aspects of the law applicable where breaches of the ban on single-use plastics, which takes effect on January, 1, 2019, may be committed. “We are looking at that… [and] I can assure the public that there will be teeth [in the law]”,” the Minister added.last_img read more