World Bank to Give Nearly US$400M to Fight Ebola

first_imgFollowing alarming evidence of the spread of the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, the World Bank Group has announced that it will nearly double its financing to US$400 million to help the worst-affected countries address the emergency and build stronger health systems for the years ahead.This represents US$170 million in new funding. With Thursday, September 25th announcement, the Bank will put US$230 million toward the emergency response and US$170 million for medium- and long-term projects.According to a World Bank statement issued, the new resources – which the World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors will consider in the coming weeks – will be targeted at rapidly increasing the health care workforce and purchasing needed supplies in order to bring care and treatment to all parts of the affected countries. The funding also is aimed at building a stronger health care system because it will aim to train cadres of health workers to bolster care at a community level throughout the affected region.“The global community is now responding with the urgency and the scale needed to begin to turn back this unprecedented Ebola crisis,” said World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim, who was speaking today at a special session on the Ebola crisis at the United Nations. “The real challenge now is to bring care and treatment to the most remote areas as well as the cities and then to build a stronger health care system. This funding will help the countries start a massive scale up of training of community health workers and bring needed supplies and equipment.”The World Bank Group previously announced that it was mobilizing US$230 million for the three countries hardest hit by the crisis—Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone—including a US$117 million emergency response.This support – coordinated closely with the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations, the United States, and other international and country partners – has assisted countries in treating the sick, cope with the economic impact, and improve their public health systems.The additional planned support will make US$113 million that had been earmarked in the earlier package for longer-term help immediately available for the emergency response. The new package will have US$170 million set aside in medium- to longer-term assistance for the countries’ health systems.More people have died in the 2014 Ebola epidemic in West Africa than in all previous Ebola outbreaks combined since the virus was first discovered in 1976.  A World Bank analysis, released last week, found that if the virus continues to surge in the three worst-affected countries, its economic impact could deal a potentially catastrophic blow to these already fragile states.However, the analysis also found that economic costs can be limited if swift national and international responses succeed in containing the epidemic and mitigating fear resulting from people’s concerns about contagion, which is fueling the economic impact.“This is a humanitarian catastrophe, first and foremost,” Kim said. “But the economic ramifications are very broad and could be long lasting. Our assessment shows a much more severe economic impact on affected countries than was previously estimated. We have been greatly encouraged by the major increase in assistance given by the international community, but now all of us have to deliver on the ground to match the scale of the crisis. ”The bulk of the emergency financing provided to date—us$105 million in grants out of the US$117 million package—was approved by the World Bank Group’s Board of Executive Directors on September 16, 2014, and is new money provided in grants from our IDA Crisis Response Window. The other US$12 million in the emergency financing was reallocated at the end of August 2014 from existing health projects in Liberia and Sierra Leone (US$6 million per country) to make some funds immediately available. As of Thursday morning the Bank had already transferred 80 percent of the US$117 million package to the three Governments and UN agencies with the remainder of funds to be disbursed by the end of the week.These funds are being used to pay for essential supplies and drugs, personal protective equipment and infection prevention control materials, health workers training, hazard pay and death benefits to Ebola health workers and volunteers, contact tracing, vehicles, data management equipment and door-to-door public health education outreach. The Bank has been supporting country responses in line with the WHO Roadmap.“We can—we must—all move more swiftly to contain the spread of Ebola and help these countries and their people. Too many lives have been lost already, and the fate of thousands of others depends upon a response that can contain and then stop this epidemic,” said Kim.A World Bank Group analysis of the Ebola epidemic released last week warned that if the virus continues to surge in the three worst-affected countries – Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone – its economic impact could grow eight-fold. However, the analysis found that economic costs can be limited if swift national and international responses succeed in containing the epidemic and mitigating “aversion behavior” – a fear factor resulting from peoples’ concerns about contagion, which is fueling the economic impact.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Juve linked with Oscar and Saints said to be considering Stekelenburg move

first_imgJuventus are interested in Chelsea’s Oscar, the Daily Mail say.It is claimed that scouts from the Italian club were in Paris specifically to watch him play for Brazil against France.Liverpool have also been linked with Oscar, signed a long-term contract at Chelsea last year and is contracted to the club until 2019.Juve were also said to be keen to sign him last year.Oscar has also been linked with Juventus in the pastThe Mail also say Chelsea have made enquiries about Palermo striker Paulo Dybala along with Manchester City and Arsenal.Dybala, 21, is said to be valued at £30m by Palermo president Mauro Zamparini and Juventus have been touted as favourites to sign him.The likes of Metro continue to link Chelsea with a move for Gareth Bale.The Blues, it is claimed, are ready to pay Real Madrid £75m for the former Tottenham star.And there continues to be speculation that Chelsea are interested in signing Radamel Falcao when his loan spell at Manchester United finishes at the end of the season.Meanwhile, Southampton boss Ronald Koeman is weighing up a summer move for Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, according to the Mail.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

10 months agoWolves captain Coady: We must learn from Liverpool defeat

first_imgWolves captain Coady: We must learn from Liverpool defeatby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves captain Conor Coady says they must learn from defeat to Liverpool.Coady, facing his former club, believes that the clinical manner of the two goals underlines the quality of the Premier League.He said, “They’re top drawer, with their movement and the way that they drag people out of position, so fair play to them, but from our point of view we have to look at the goals and improve, and make sure we’re focusing for the full game.”The first goal is a great finish but we could have stopped that happening by stopping the quick free-kick being taken. However, we’ve switched off there and we’ve switched off when the cross comes in for the second one.”You can’t afford to do that against any team in this league, but they’re at the top of the league and they’re really going to punish you.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Missouri Man Arrested For Posting Threats On Yik Yak Towards Mizzou Students

first_imgyik yak app logo.Twitter/@EMichiganEagles The issues at Missouri continue to escalate, following the resignation of system president Tim Wolfe after a string of racially-charged incidents across the Columbia campus spurred large-scale protests by students. Things took a frightening turn on Tuesday night, when a local man posted terroristic threats towards black Mizzou students on the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak. Warning: some of the posts contain explicit language.University of Missouri police arrest suspect for posting online threats https://t.co/Beq5jfNSIK pic.twitter.com/8baXsfJXTu— Mary Georgantopoulos (@marygeorgant) November 11, 2015Update on Missouri University: Anonymous posts death threat towards black students on Yik Yak!#ConcernedStudent1950 pic.twitter.com/cIZGhhfFib— Ray Warren Symposium (@rwsymplc) November 11, 2015screenshotted this before it got removed #Mizzou pic.twitter.com/tK2MjCRvM9— Lara Haft (@badpriestess) November 11, 2015Early this morning, a local 19-year-old man was arrested for allegedly making the threatening posts, though it has not yet been confirmed that he was the poster. According to reports, he is not a Mizzou student, and was not near campus when the messages were posted.19-year-old Hunter M. Park for making terrorist threats towards the Mizzou campus on social media. pic.twitter.com/wx5YcjqhmW— Goldie Taylor (@goldietaylor) November 11, 2015Have apprehended suspect who used multiple accts to threaten @Mizzou students. He was never physically near campus @MUalert— R. Bowen Loftin (@bowtieger) November 11, 2015The school sent out this email to students this morning.#Mizzou sent this email to students this morning. pic.twitter.com/PvbiK4YwJp— Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) November 11, 2015We hope these issues pass, and Missouri proves to be a safe, inclusive place for all students soon enough. Please stay safe, everyone.last_img read more

Jamaican Student is Regional Representative on CSA

first_imgStory Highlights During his tenure, Mr. Fraser will be responsible for coordinating the efforts of national student organisations (NSOs) of 13 countries and provide oversight to the establishment of NSOs where none exist. Jamaica’s Benjamin Fraser is the Caribbean and the Americas Regional Representative on the Commonwealth Students’ Association (CSA).Mr. Fraser was among several CSA Executives who were installed by the Rt. Hon Patricia Scotland, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, on February 22, in Nadi, Fiji, during the 20th Conference of Commonwealth Education Ministers (CCEM) and Integrated Partners Forum.During his tenure, Mr. Fraser will be responsible for coordinating the efforts of national student organisations (NSOs) of 13 countries and provide oversight to the establishment of NSOs where none exist.The 21-year-old is a second-year law student at the University of the West Indies, Mona, and is a past student of Ardenne High School.No stranger to leadership roles, Mr Fraser is presently the Second Vice-President for National and International Affairs in the Jamaica Union of Tertiary Students (JUTS) and President of Called to Lead Jamaica.The CSA, which was launched in 2012 at the 18th CCEM in Mauritius, seeks to unify and represent the needs and aspirations of national student councils and other student organisations in the Commonwealth. According to Mr. Fraser, the CSA empowers students of the Commonwealth to: influence change in education, contribute to their societies, and amplify the students’ voices through the collaboration between student leaders and educational stakeholders.Mr. Fraser is currently forming a regional working group to carry out the mandate of the CSA in the region.He is encouraging student leaders in the region who are interested in being a part of the working group to send a statement of interest to: caribbeanamericas.csa@gmail.com.Countries within this region that are part of the CSA are Jamaica, Belize, The Bahamas, Guyana, St. Kitts and Nevis, Dominica, St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Canada.“We are asking students from all countries in the region to volunteer their skills in photography, film, writing, graphic design, planning and research. When effectively coordinated, our skills and energy are the most important ingredients for effective student advocacy,” Mr. Fraser said. Mr. Fraser is currently forming a regional working group to carry out the mandate of the CSA in the region. Jamaica’s Benjamin Fraser is the Caribbean and the Americas Regional Representative on the Commonwealth Students’ Association (CSA).last_img read more

I try to control the controllables says Bumrah Krunal Pandya calls him

first_imgBengaluru: Called a legend by his Mumbai Indians teammate Krunal Pandya, India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah says he backs himself to deliver no matter what the situation is and always focusses on his strengths. Bumrah’s 3/20 in four overs against Royal Challengers Bangalore was crucial to Mumbai Indians’ six-run triumph in an IPL clash. “You go ball by ball and you try to control the controllables. You try to back yourself in the situation,” the man of the match winner said in the presentation ceremony. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh “You don’t go too far behind, I was just focussing on my plan and trying to back my strengths. I always try to back myself in any situation and execute the plan to perfection. I have always taken care of my body,” added the pacer, who had hurt his shoulder in the previous match but got fit just in time for this game. All-rounder Krunal Pandya was gushing in his praise for the bowler, who is ranked No.1 in the ICC world rankings. “It was a great game. We were in-out throughout the second innings. The way Bumrah bowled, he is a legend. The way he’s giving consistent performances whether he is playing for India or Mumbai Indians; he is outstanding,” he said. Pandya also lauded his brother, Hardik Pandya for the 14-ball unbeaten 32 on Thursday. “Whatever I have seen of Hardik this year, he’s striking the ball very well. For me, it was excepted, what he did,” he said. “He’s in a good mind space. I’m pretty sure he’ll be delivering for MI consistently. It’s important to get a win in the second game only, sets the momentum for the team,” he said.last_img read more

PMs museum CPWD penalised for rejection of bid to build

first_imgNew Delhi: The Delhi High Court has directed CPWD to pay Rs 1.5 lakh to an architectural firm for unjustifiably rejecting its bid for constructing a museum for India’s Prime Ministers on the premises of Nehru Memorial at Teen Murti Bhawan.The court, however, did not quash the contract citing the substantial outlay of expenditure, which has already occurred pursuant to the award of tender, and the work progress at the site. “We do not consider it to be in the larger public interest to quash the award of the project and direct further processing of the petitioner’s (firm) bid, or to mandate that a de novo exercise be carried out in the present case by calling for fresh tenders,” said a bench of Justices S Ravindra Bhat and Prateek Jalan. The court directed the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) to refund to Bangalore-based Flying Elephant Studio the amounts incurred on tender documents and fee. “…the present petition is disposed of without granting any relief to the petitioner… However, in the peculiar facts and circumstances, the respondent No.1 (CPWD) will pay the costs of these proceedings to the petitioner. The costs are assessed at Rs 1,50,000 to be paid within two weeks,” it said in a recent order. The petition concerned a ‘Notice Inviting Tender’ (NIT) issued by the CPWD for a Prime Ministers museum on the premises of Nehru Memorial Museum and Library at Teen Murti Bhawan here. The firm’s grievance was that its bid for the museum was rejected by the CPWD. The authorities told the court that they rejected the bid on the ground that the firm did not satisfy the eligibility criteria and that the previous projects executed by it do not fall within the categories of buildings enumerated in the definition of ‘Similar Comprehensive Consultancy Work’ contained in the NIT. The firm’s counsel submitted that it fulfilled all the eligibility criteria set out in the ‘Initial Eligibility Criteria’ provided by CPWD in the tender notice.last_img read more

IT Dept searches premises of kin of JK exMin Imran Ansari

first_imgSrinagar: The Income Tax Department Thursday carried out searches at five places here, including at the premises of a kin of Imran Reza Ansari, a former minister in the PDP-BJP coalition, for alleged tax evasion, sources said.The searches were carried out against a group which is a “monopolistic wholesale distributer” of pharmaceuticals in the Kashmir Valley, a released issued by the I-T Department said. It was gathered that the group charged huge premium on life saving drugs which were exclusively sourced through it in the Valley and the extra normal profits earned by this modus operandi were used for investment in real estate in Srinagar, as well as for unaccounted expenditure by the promoter’s family not disclosed in their income tax returns, the release said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Sources said Ansari’s sister is married into the family whose premises have been searched. However, the tax officials maintained that searches were carried out on a business family and were in no way connected to Ansari, a politician who switched over to People’s Conference led by Sajad Lone. The I-T department release said the search action has yielded incriminating documents and digital evidence that suggest huge concealment of income by the promoter and his family members. Apparently, Rs 3.08 crore in transactions of two pieces of land in Srinagar has been earned by the group, which has not been disclosed in the returns of income. The digital evidence in the form of hard disc that has been seized, indicates that a part of the sales proceeds, approximating nearly 10 per cent of the turnover are kept outside the books of accounts to suppress profits, it said.last_img read more

US official convinced Morocco has tools to become key player on

first_imgBordeaux – A cybersecurity expert visiting Rabat stated the Kingdom has all the attributes to play a leading role in the management and resolution of international affairs.Jane Holl Lute is the President and CEO of the Council on Cybersecurity and a former assistant secretary at the Department of Homeland Security.Ms. Lute is currently in Rabat on the occasion of the third “Atlantic Dialogues” Forum which is held every year and brings together high-level policymakers, business leaders, media and opinion-shapers from around the Atlantic bassin. For this edition, more than 400 experts from 52 countries are meeting in Rabat, under the patronage of King Mohamed VI. The American expert has made it clear she sees great potential in Morocco.“I am very familiar with Morocco. This is a country that has a strong international profile and a rich cultural and historical heritage,” said the expert.She also noted and applauded the Kingdom’s recent efforts, stating “The country has undergone tremendous reforms that have had a positive impact on the daily lives of Moroccans.”last_img read more