Egypt, Indonesia report human H5N1 cases

first_imgMar 12, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The accumulation of human cases of H5N1 avian influenza continued with the reporting of one case each in Egypt and Indonesia in the past 2 days.Officials in Egypt said a 4-year-old boy from the Nile delta town of Daqahliya tested positive yesterday, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report published yesterday. The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed the case in a notice today.The boy, who fell ill Mar 7 and was hospitalized the next day, was in stable condition, the WHO said. A health ministry official said the boy caught the virus from birds raised by his family, according to AFP.Egypt has had 24 confirmed H5N1 cases, 13 of them fatal, according to the WHO. Those include six cases with three deaths so far this year; the rest were in 2006.In Indonesia, officials reported today that a 20-year-old woman from East Java was in critical condition in a hospital, according to a Reuters report. Joko Suyono, a data analyst at the national avian flu center in Jakarta, said the woman had cleaned an area where a neighbor had dumped dead chickens, the story said.By the WHO’s count, Indonesia has had 81 human cases of H5N1 illness, with 63 deaths. The WHO has not yet recognized the young woman’s case or four previous cases reported by Indonesian officials since Jan 29, when the agency confirmed a fatal H5N1 infection in a 6-year-old girl from Central Java province. Those four cases involved a 15-year-old girl and a 30-year-old man, reported Feb 6, plus a 22-year-old woman and a 9-year-old boy, reported Feb 12. Both of the latter patients died of the illness.With the new case in Egypt, the WHO’s global tally of human cases reported since H5N1 began spreading widely in late 2003 reached 278 cases with 168 deaths.In other developments, South Korea reported killing more than 35,000 ducks on farms to control an H5N1 outbreak reported last week, according to an AFP report published yesterday.The disease erupted on a breeding farm in Cheonan, 56 miles south of Seoul, the story said. A city official said culling was done on that farm and four neighboring farms.See also:Jan 29 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2007_01_29/en/index.htmllast_img read more

Carter’s telling shift to 12

first_imgPhoto: GETTY IMAGES Caption: Dan Carter was in the midfield as his Racing 92 club started the new French Top 14 season with a comeback win. The 35-year-old Carter is in his final season of a record three-year deal with the glamour Paris club.The former All Blacks star helped Racing 92 get away to a winning start to their new Top 14 campaign.Cater kicked two conversions and two penalties as Racing came back to beat Castres Olympique 25-21 with Louis Dupichot scoring a late try for victory.But Carter worked his magic wearing a No 12 jersey as Racing had French international Remi Tales at first-five.Racing are on the lookout for fresh talent at pivot and talk of Lambie joining them ramped up over the weekend.South African Newspaper Rapport reported that Lambie had now requested an early release from his joint contract with the South African union and the Sharks. He still has two years left on those deals.Lambie hasn’t played since May when he suffered another concussion during Super Rugby.The last of his 56 tests was in June last year when his concussion issues started in a heavy hit while playing against Ireland.Lambie is a versatile player who can play at 10, 12 or fullback but his preferred role is at first-five. Speculation has been rife that he has already signed with Racing 92 and only the paperwork in South Africa needs to be completed.Meanwhile, another former All Blacks No 10, Aaron Cruden, made his Top 14 debut for Montpellier. Cruden started in the 48-19 win over Agen where Montpellier ran in seven tries.And former Blues and New Zealand under-20 first-five Simon Hickey kicked five penalties as his Bordeaux Begles side upset champions Clermont 32-25.There was no sign of former All Blacks lock Jason Eaton as his La Rochelle club opened their campaign with a 19-10 win over Brive.Eaton was last week caught up in allegations of a street brawl in La Rochelle.last_img read more

Call open for local businesswomen to join rural support programme

first_imgFemale entrepreneurs in Donegal are being invited to join the latest cycle of ACORNS for business support.There has been an increase in early-stage female entrepreneurs in Ireland over the past year and the call is now open for those with new businesses, or well-developed ideas, to join ACORNS 5.And Donegal’s ACORNS participants, as well as ‘Lead Entrepreneur’ Deirdre McGlone, are urging their fellow business owners to apply before the September 20 deadline.  ACORNS is the highly-successful development initiative to support female entrepreneurs living in rural Ireland who wish to start and develop new businesses or have recently started a business. Previous business owners from Donegal who have participated on the most recent cycle of the programme include Laura Hardaker of HardyBaker, Lorraine Quinn of Harbour Road and Taralouise McCaughey of ZINC.Taralouise McCaughey – ZINC‘Lead Entrepreneur’ on the programme, Donegal’s Deirdre McGlone, formerly of Harvey’s Point, said: “It is with great pride and pleasure that I look forward to being a Lead Entrepreneur for ACORNS 5, following the great success of the past four cycles.“The ACORNS initiative continues to offer much needed and appreciated support to female entrepreneurs in rural Ireland. This is turn is helping our local economy by creating a platform for new businesses to start-up and pave a path for success”. As a Lead Entrepreneur, Deirdre acts in a voluntary capacity to share insights and experience with the group and help the participants to address the issues and challenges they face in progressing their businesses. The lead ACORNS also act as role models, illustrating by their actions that it is possible to start and grow a successful business in rural Ireland.The programme will run over six months from October 2019 to April 2020.Many past participants of ACORNS report increased exports and job creation. Past participants are also invited to participate in a further development phase and to join the ACORNS Community, so they can continue to build their support network of valuable connections.Any woman with a new business based in rural Ireland or an idea for a new venture they want to get off the ground can get more information and register their interest at www.acorns.ie. There is no charge for successful applicants.Call open for local businesswomen to join rural support programme was last modified: August 18th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ACORNSBusinessDeirdre McGlonelast_img read more

Go back to the enewsletter W Hotels Worldwide exp

first_imgGo back to the e-newsletterW Hotels Worldwide expands its Latin American portfolio with the opening of W Punta de Mita in Mexico’s Riviera Nayarit. Owned by Fideicomiso Los Veneros, the new hotel is part of the multi-use oceanfront development, Los Veneros, on Mexico’s Pacific Coast which is known as one of the world’s most desirable holiday destinations.W Punta de Mita is the 48th W Hotel worldwide and fifth W Hotel in Latin America following W Santiago, W Mexico City, W Vieques Island and W Bogota, bringing Starwood’s iconic category disruptor closer to reaching 75 hotels by 2020. W Punta de Mita joins W Mexico City as the brand’s second hotel in the country, as well as the second Latin American W Escape (the brand’s modern approach to staid leisure travel, currently in 10 destinations around the world).“We are delighted to introduce our new W Escape to Mexico’s Riviera Nayarit, a world-class destination for surf and sun, as we continue to grow the brand’s presence in this region,” said Anthony Ingham, Global Brand Leader, W Hotels Worldwide. “W Punta de Mita brings a playfully stylish addition to this Mexican hot spot, and we are confident that with the brand’s unique lifestyle programming and cutting-edge design it will become a must-visit destination to the new generation of jetsetters.”“Starwood has been aggressively expanding its presence in Latin America and is on track to reach 100 hotels this year,” said Jorge Giannattasio, Chief of Latin America Operations and Global Initiatives, Starwood Hotels & Resorts. “Mexico is an important market for our company, and we are excited to continue to grow and introduce this new W Escape experience into the country.”Go back to the e-newsletterlast_img read more