Oxford Union cuts standing committee to five officers

first_imgPoints in favour of the motion largely included the manageability of such a large committee and a desire to stray away from a lot of the bureaucracy currently present. There was also the concern of costs as Union committee members who work over the vacation are compensated with £8 per day, a figure that is set to rise to £12, and members are usually expected to commit to 10 vacation days. Today’s meeting was extremely well-attended with 87 people present at its height and many ex-officers coming back to make speeches both for and against the motion.  A Union spokesperson told Cherwell: “The decision to reduce the number of members of The Standing Committee was taken at a meeting of all members. It is hoped that this decision will make the Committee more efficient. This is also part of a wider group of reforms intended to improve the accessibility of the Union’s Committee.” An Oxford Union public business meeting on 11th February passed a motion for the “reduction in the Number of Elected Members of Standing Committee” from its current seven officers down to five. The Standing Committee is the Union’s governing body, which makes all major decisions concerning the running of the Society, and oversees the work of all committees. It is also a requirement to be an officer of the Standing Committee prior to running for the office of President. This comes as a direct overturn of the decision in Trinity 2017 where it was voted for the Standing Committee to be expanded from 5 members to 7. The policy which was implemented in Michaelmas 2017 caused controversy and led to an investigation as the then-president added two previously un-elected Standing Committee candidates as officers. However, his decision was later cleared and the seven-member Standing Committee has since been instituted.  This motion, proposed by the President James Price, Worcester College, passed 41-34 and is set to be implemented at the end of 8th Week of Hillary term 2021. However, those against the motion were concerned that this was an access issue, with a lack of opportunity especially for those who choose to run in the election independently without a slate. Image Credit: Topper the Wombat. License: CC BY-SA 4.0.last_img read more

Beach Replenishment Update: Project to Resume in ‘Mid-July’

first_imgWork is completed on beaches between 55th Street and 52nd Street, and all pipeline has been removed.Check OCNJ Daily for updates and photos of the Ocean City beach replenishment project for 2015 in the south end between 37th and 59th Streets.DATE: Saturday, June 13Equipment on the beach at 55th Street.PROGRESS: In an update on Friday, the Army Corps of Engineers said, “It is estimated that the dredge will return in mid-July.” The dredge “Liberty Island” is in Norfolk Shipyard for repairs.Work stopped on Saturday (May 30) due to an engine problem on the hopper dredge that has been pumping new sand onto the beaches since mid-April. At the time, it was announced that the project would be on hold for 6 to 8 weeks.The pipeline has been removed and all beaches in Ocean City remain open during the standstill. Some equipment is stored at the back the beach at 55th Street.The first two phases of the project (from 42nd Street to 37th Street, then from 42nd Street to 47th Street) are complete.WHAT’S NEXT: The project will proceed from 52nd Street to 47th Street, then from 55th to 59th (target date for completion is Sept. 9).READ MORE: Ocean City NJ Beach Replenishment 2015 Daily UpdateFOR DAILY UPDATES by E-MAIL: Sign up for freelast_img read more

Woman shot in Mishawaka, detectives interview possible suspect

first_img Pinterest Previous articleMichigan’s confirmed COVID-19 cases surpass 37,000Next articleMishawaka Police break up hundreds of cruisers on W. McKinley Avenue Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Google+ (Tom Franklin/95.3 MNC) A female is recovering after being shot in Mishawaka.Police were called around 12:50 p.m. on Saturday, April 25 to the 2700 block of Lenson Court where they found the victim who had been shot in the hip area.The female was transported to a local hospital by Mishawaka Fire/EMS with non-life threatening injuries.The person believed to be the shooter is being interviewed by Mishawaka Police Detectives.The Mishawaka Police Department is urging anybody who may have witnessed this shooting contact the Mishawaka Police Department Detective Bureau 574-258-1684. Facebook IndianaLocalNews Twitter Google+ WhatsApp Woman shot in Mishawaka, detectives interview possible suspect By Jon Zimney – April 25, 2020 0 374 last_img read more