Croatian culture minister’s irresponsible comments

first_img Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU Follow the news on Croatia News April 5, 2016 – Updated on May 19, 2016 Croatian culture minister’s irresponsible comments RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive Europe – Central AsiaCroatia Condemning abuses Violence June 2, 2021 Find out more Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union Organisation News Receive email alerts Hasanbegovic said he deplored “attacks on all citizens” but went on to lecture Tomic and implicitly blame him for the attack by urging him to weigh “the importance of responsibility for words spoken or written in public.” It was the second time in three years that Tomic has been the target of a physical attack. “We find it disturbing that a government minister publicly justifies violence against a journalist,” RSF editor-in-chief Aude Rossigneux said. “No piece of writing, no matter how irritating, can justify a physical attack against a reporter or media outlet. Freedom of expression is not limited to the freedom to reassure or please readers.” RSF is concerned about the overall situation of the media in Croatia, where journalists are often the victims of harassment or violence, and where defamation, “humiliating” comments, and insulting “the Republic, its emblem, its anthem or its flag” are criminalized. News Help by sharing this information Europe – Central AsiaCroatia Condemning abuses Violence News to go further RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns Croatian culture minister Zlatko Hasanbegovic’s irresponsible statement about a physical attack on journalist and writer Ante Tomic at a literary festival in the city of Split. December 2, 2020 Find out more November 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

KPK seek 10 years’ imprisonment for former sports minister in graft case

first_imgCorruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutors have demanded that 10 years’ imprisonment be handed down to former youth and sports minister Imam Nahrawi for his alleged involvement in a bribery case pertaining to a grant for the Indonesian Sports Council (KONI).Prosecutors claim Imam accepted Rp 11.5 billion (US$840,280) and an additional Rp 8.64 billion from several ministry and KONI officials.The KPK has also demanded that the bench order Imam to pay a Rp 500 million fine and Rp 19.1 billion in restitution.  “Among the incriminating factors is that the defendant’s actions have made it harder for Indonesian athletes to develop and achieve more. They are expected to lift the nation’s reputation in sports,” prosecutors said, adding that Imam had been uncooperative and dishonest during the trial.Imam denied his involvement in the case, telling the bench he would file a defense plea during the next hearing, slated for June 19.Apart from Imam and Miftahul, the KPK also named five other suspects in the case: former KONI secretary-general Ending Fuad Hamidy, KONI treasurer Johnny E. Awuy and ministry officials Mulyana, Adhi Purnomo and Eko Triyanto. The court has convicted them in the case.Separately, the Attorney General’s Office is opening an investigation into alleged corruption at KONI. Retired badminton gold medalist Taufik Hidayat was also implicated in the case, in which he admitted to playing a role as an intermediary by delivering the illicit funds to Miftahul in 2018. He further claimed that corrupt practices were prevalent in the ministry.Topics : “[We also demand] the judge revoke [Imam’s] right to run for public office for five years after serving his sentence,” prosecutor Ronald Worotikan read the demand during a hearing on Friday.During his term as sports minister from 2014 to 2019, Imam allegedly accepted bribes to speed up the approval of a grant proposed by KONI for supervising several athletic events in 2018, including the 2018 Asian Games and Asian Para Games.Read also: KPK detains former PT DI director over graft case involving fictitious projectsThe bribe was reportedly given through Imam’s personal assistant, Miftahul Ulum, who is standing trial in a separate case. Prosecutors demanded nine years’ imprisonment for Miftahul during a hearing on June 4.last_img read more